If videos do not play properly, make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player installed.
Students, faculty, alumni, and countless supporters from our community gathered on Wednesday, March 30, to celebrate and explore the College of Architecture's newest facility, the Hinman Research Building. Shown above is a composition performed at the event entitled "το θεατρο της φαντασιας - Theater of the Imagination." Composed by Dr. Frank Clark, chair of the School of Music, it is based on the work of Cecil Balmond with the musical materials derived from Byzantine Chant and the prime numbers 2, 3, 5, and 7. The composition was conducted by Jerry Ulrich, director of choral activities, and performed by members of the Georgia Tech Chamber Choir and the Percussion Ensemble, directed by Mr. Chris Moore.
Designed in 1939 by P.M. Heffernan, architect and later director of the Tech School of Architecture (1956-1976), the 35,000-square-foot Hinman Research Building has been artfully preserved and revitalized in collaboration between Lord, Aeck & Sargent’s Historic Preservation Studio and Office dA as the architects and The Beck Group as construction manager. Read more about the project and its design. Read the review on artscriticatl.com. The grand opening event is free and open to the public, and guests will have a chance to attend a lecture from the architects, tour the building, meet the architectural and construction team, and view an exhibition detailing the advanced technology used in the design and construction process.
Special Thanks to our Donors
Cooper Carry Charitable Foundation
David R. Goodman, Jr.
Brian H. Gracey (B Arch 1965)
Larry Lord, Lord, Aeck, & Sargent (B Arch 1965)
Dolores G. Reinsch
Gregory V. Sims (BS Arch 1996), Gregg Sims Architect
William Wong (BS Arch 1954; B Arch 1957)
Naming and Giving Opportunities
Please contact Susan Sanders at 404.385.7085 orsusan [dot] sanders [at] coa [dot] gatech [dot] edu (subject: Hinman%20Research%20Building) ( via e-mail )to learn about naming and giving opportunities.
About the Architects
Lord, Aeck & Sargent is an award-winning architectural firm serving clients in scientific, academic, historic preservation, arts and cultural, and multi-family housing and mixed-use markets. Its Historic Preservation Studio has a national reputation for quality and champions collaboration between preservation and design. The firm’s core values are responsive design, technological expertise and exceptional service. In 2003, The Construction Specifications Institute awarded Lord, Aeck & Sargent its Environmental Sensitivity Award for showing exceptional devotion to the use of sustainable and environmentally friendly materials, and for striving to create functional, sensitive and healthy buildings for clients. In 2007, Lord, Aeck & Sargent was one of the first architecture firms to adopt The 2030 Challenge, an initiative whose ultimate goal is the design of carbon-neutral buildings, or buildings that use no fossil-fuel greenhouse gas-emitting energy to operate, by the year 2030. Lord, Aeck & Sargent has offices in Ann Arbor, Michigan; Atlanta, Georgia; and Chapel Hill, North Carolina. For more information, visit the firm at www.lordaecksargent.com.
Jack Pyburn, FAIA, is a principal and director of the Historic Preservation Studio at Lord, Aeck & Sargent, an architecture firm with locations in Atlanta; Ann Arbor, Michigan; and Chapel Hill, North Carolina. He is responsible for setting the direction of the studio, which provides clients a comprehensive range of architectural services in the restoration, rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of government, education and other institutional buildings. Studio services include everything from preservation planning to the development of construction drawings for complete architectural restoration and rehabilitation. Highly specialized areas of expertise include condition assessments, historic structure reports, feasibility studies for the rehabilitation of historic properties, and campus preservation planning. In addition to his role in managing Lord, Aeck & Sargent’s Historic Preservation Studio, Pyburn is directly involved in many of its current project activities such as the rehabilitation of Carter Hall at Covenant College, the Tuttle Federal Courthouse Annex in downtown Atlanta and Glenn Memorial Chapel at Emory University. Pyburn, who has more than 34 years of experience as an architect, joined Lord, Aeck & Sargent in 2007 after having founded his own award-winning historic preservation architecture firm – Office of Jack Pyburn, Architect, Inc., (aka OJP / Architect) – in 1984. OJP / Architect received numerous awards for its work from organizations such as the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation, the National Park Service, the Alabama Preservation Alliance, AIA Georgia, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Historic Preservation Division, and more. Before founding OJP / Architect, Pyburn was principal-in-charge of the southeastern office of EDAW, Inc., a firm specializing in landscape architecture and urban planning and design. He began his career with the St. Louis architecture firm Team Four Inc., where he spent eight years. Pyburn has a distinguished architectural career, particularly in the area of historic preservation. An active member of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), he served as 2007 chair of the organization’s Historic Resources Committee and has been a member of the committee since 2002. In 2006, he was elected to the AIA’s prestigious College of Fellows. Pyburn has authored numerous articles on various aspects of historic preservation and is a frequent presenter on the topic at conferences such as the Traditional Building Conference and the National Preservation Conference, and for organizations such as the AIA and the Association for Preservation Technology International. He has participated on several award juries, and has been an instructor and lecturer for many colleges and universities, among them the University of Georgia, Texas A&M University and Washington University. Recently, he served as adjunct professor for third-year design students in the School of Architecture at Southern Polytechnic State University. Currently, Pyburn serves on the board of directors of the Georgia Trust for Historic Restoration and DOCOMOMO/US, which stands for DOcumentation and COnservation of buildings, sites and neighborhoods of the MOdern MOvement. He also is a member of the Association for Preservation Technology, International; the Society of Architectural Historians; the National Trust for Historic Preservation; the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation; and the Alabama Preservation Alliance. Pyburn is registered to practice architecture in nine southeastern states. He earned his master’s degree in architecture and urban design from Washington University, and he holds a bachelor’s degree in architecture from the Texas A&M University College of Architecture, which presented him with a 2004 Outstanding Alumni Award, the highest honor the college bestows on its former students. He is a member and past founding chairman for the professional fellows of the Historic Resources Imaging Laboratory at Texas A&M.
Nader Tehrani is the founder of the newly formed "NADAAA.” In collaboration with Dan Gallagher and Katie Faulkner, Tehrani will oversee the design of a range of new projects, including two new schools of architecture, a model home gallery in Korea and the Bridge Barriers projects at Cornell University.
Tehrani is a Professor of Architecture and the head of the School of Architecture at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He received a B.F.A. and a B. Arch from the Rhode Island School of Design in 1985 and 1986 respectively, and continued on to the Harvard Graduate School of Design where he received his M.A.U.D in 1991. Tehrani has taught at the Harvard Graduate School of Design, Rhode Island School of Design, and Georgia Institute of Technology, where he served as the Thomas W. Ventulett III Distinguished Chair in Architectural Design. His area of research is focused on innovations in building systems, material application, and the transformation of the building industry, with an emphasis on digital fabrication. While a principal at Office dA, Tehrani received numerous awards, including the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Award in Architecture, the American Academy of Arts and Letters Architecture Award, the Harleston Parker Award, and 13 Progressive Architecture Awards. His work has been exhibited widely, including such venues as the Museum of Modern Art, the Venice Biennale and the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston.
About The Beck Group
Founded in 1912, Beck is a full-service design and construction company with its’ Eastern Division headquarters being located in Atlanta since 1939. Beck is in the business of devising solutions for clients needs through the development of real estate, the design of architecture and interiors and the construction of buildings. In addition to greenfield developments, Beck has become a leader in complex renovation and building re-use projects. Beck serves a wide range of industries in the private and public sectors, including arts, corporate, healthcare, entertainment, religious, higher education, retail, and hospitality. Beck has more than 500 employees, many of whom are LEED-accredited professionals, working from a network of offices in Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, Denver, Fort Worth, Mexico City, San Antonio and Tampa. For more information, go to www.beckgroup.com