2012 marked the 60th anniversary of three important events for the College of Architecture at Georgia Tech:
- the opening of the Architecture building, designed by the firm of Harold Bush-Brown, J. Herbert “Doc” Gailey and P. M. Heffernan, the first modern architectural school building in the nation;
- the formal initiation of the program of study in Industrial Design and
- and the formal initiation of the program of study in City Planning.
The 60th Anniversary Celebrations have spanned the course of the 2012-2013 school year. In January, a reproduction of the 1955 exhibition titled “A Half Century of Architectural Education,” which illustrated the work of graduates from first 50 years of the School, was installed in Stubbins Gallery. All of the original panels were restored, and when displayed presented a grand view of the ambitions for architecture in the 1950s.
The celebration continued in February and March with exhibits highlighting work from the Schools of Industrial Design and City and Regional Planning. Both of these exhibits were well received, featuring work from alumni spanning the last six decades.
April 11th (6-8:00p.m.) marks the opening of the fourth and final exhibit, featuring the work of alumni from the School of Architecture. The exhibit will display 225 works from over 200 alumni, classes of 1952-2012. RSVP for this event. A separate exhibition as opening April 11th outside the Architecture Library will spotlight the accomplishments of distinguished women alumni and friends of the College of Architecture.
Read Dean Balfour's opening remarks from the night of the exhibit opening (11/8/2012).
Download the booklet produced in commemoration of the event.